The purpose of this
synthesis would be to conduct a survey of the state intercity bus programs to
identify the basic characteristics of each, and then do more in-depth research
on a limited number that would provide more information on a variety of models.
The synthesis is intended to gather this information from as many of the state intercity bus programs as possible:
· Does the state utilize the full 15% Section 5311(f) set aside? Or does it certify that there are no unmet intercity needs, or do a partial certification (and under what circumstances)?
· Please describe the state’s intercity bus Consultation Process. Is it described in the state’s Section 5311 State Management Plan? Is it a letter/survey of existing carriers, a meeting, part of a study?
· Is Section 5311(f) funding provided through a grant or under a contract issued as part of an RFP process?
· If an RFP/Contract, what is the term, how often are they rebid?
· If a grant, are they renewed with an annual (or biannual) application process?
· Are there unique state laws or state management plan guidelines impacting the contracting process? (i.e. prohibitions regarding contracting with private companies, limitations on use of funds, etc.)
· Are there multiple contracts or grants, with different contracts for different routes? Or one agreement for all routes in the program?
· What is the source of match? For operating projects?—State funds? Local funds? Carrier funds? Or Section 5311(f) in-kind match from connecting unsubsidized service? Some combination? For capital projects? Is it different for vehicles and other capital (stations/shelters, etc.)
· Is the basis of the contract or grant for operating assistance, contract or grant a cost per mile (times the number of bus-miles operated in the project), or is it a line item line item budget (with amounts for each budget line-item such as labor, fuel, administration, etc.)
· Is all of the funding used for operating assistance? Or is there some for capital, or some for marketing or planning?
· What kind of intercity bus planning is conducted? Is there a statewide intercity bus plan, is it part of an overall statewide transit plan, or are there regional or route level plans?
· How are decisions made regarding expansion of funded services? Criteria, process?
· How are decisions made regarding eliminating funding for particular services? Are there performance criteria?
· Who are the operators of Section 5311(f) services in the state? Are they private for-profit firms, public transit providers, private non-profit? Please provider carrier names associated with particular routes or services.
· Please provide a map or description of the state’s intercity bus network, showing Section 5311(f) routes (and unsubsidized, if possible), and/or a brief description of services funded. This could be link to something on-line.
· How does the state define a meaningful connection with the national network of intercity bus services?
· Has the state established any branding for the funded services? For all services? By route? Explain or describe.
· How is marketing supported and information provided?
· Are any particular amenities such as bicycle racks, wi-fi, shelters, etc. required?
· Are fare levels determined in some way by the state, or does the contractor set the level and structure?
· Does the state require the contractor to provide GTFS data on the services?
· Is there any particular coordination with local or regional transit? Use of public park and rides, intermodal centers, etc. ?