order to develop a better auxiliary engine methodology based on detailed engine data, it is
necessary to set up a testing program to compile the necessary data for the
proposed method. Results from the testing will be analyzed to develop auxiliary
engine profiles that can be applied to AIS derived operating mode data to
estimate fuel consumption and emissions. To support this the following phases
of this project will need to be implemented:
1 - Planning
· Develop general approach to more accurately estimate auxiliary
· Evaluate required data elements.
· Develop test program to obtain the necessary data to support the
*Phase 2 - Testing
· Based on the testing program developed in Phase 1, develop detail
test plan for available resources.
· Identify candidate vessels for the study.
· Install PEMs on vessels.
· Implement analysis of collected samples.
· Download operating parameters PEM.
Phase 3 - Analyze
· Develop auxiliary engine profiles for each operational mode based
on Phase 2 Testing.
· Review available AIS data using AI tools to develop methods to
quantify individual vessel operating modes.
*Phase 4 - Methodology *
· Combine auxiliary engine profiles and AI methods developed to
quantify operating modes in Phase 3 into a clear set of guidelines that could be used to more
accurately estimate emissions.
· Submit the documentation for external review.
· Develop final methodology based on external reviewers comments.
Phase 5 - Outreach
· Post methodology and supporting data on the web.
· Inform agencies and appropriate organizations of the availably of
the methodology and supporting data.
· Revisit the methodology in 6 months and consider revisions based
on users response to the posting.
· Results from this
study should be published by TRB and posted on their website.