1. Conduct a comprehensive literature
review to document factors that affect bond development between Portland cement
2. Identify projects where the bond
between RCC lifts was not adequately developed during construction or debonding
occurred soon after placement.
3. Analyze the project data including
but not limited to RCC materials, mix design, placement and compaction
equipment, environmental conditions during and soon after placement, type,
timing and extent of pavement distress and others.
4. Develop a matrix of key factors
leading to the lack of bond development or debonding.
5. Develop a list of relevant test
procedures and corresponding guidelines.
For instance, use of a mini-weather station placed on the first lift to
identify critical environmental factors (evaporation rate) that will be used to
determine lift and construction sequencing.
6. Prepare draft guidelines using the
key indicators and potential resolution steps.
7. Evaluate the guidelines on several
multi-lift RCC projects around the country and under a variety of conditions to
assess the reasonableness of the proposed solutions.
Develop final guidelines based on the results of
the field trials. A revised guide
specification will be included as an appendix.